the best limiter on the planet?

Posted by: DR9

the best limiter on the planet? - 02/04/08 10:18 AM

yes, i would say so, judging from the results i got when using the ilok demo.
excellent and another credit to antoni and the team.
DR9.
Posted by: BassKillah

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/06/08 06:04 AM

Definitely! Its almost magic. I don't know how they did it but its unbelievable. If you just try to achieve the same loudness on other limiters, you will notice that somehow you can get a higher RMS without loosing the punch and clarity compared to Waves L1/L2/L3. Ofcourse the source material must be eq-ed proparly. But for me the Xenon works best.
Posted by: PMcCMusic

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/06/08 11:37 AM

Hi Guys,
I can't seem to find a setting on the Xenon that doesn't ruin the sound of rock drums.
Using it in a rock mix,.I'm finding the Drums really get squashed in a bad way.

Are there any settings you are using to avoid this?
Thanks

PMcC
Posted by: BassKillah

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/06/08 12:57 PM

I had the similar problem in the beginning, but after fully opening the transinient knob to 100%, and the leveller counterclockwise to -12, it was solved. Also try to low cut the sourcematerial, because because very low freqenties are almost not noticed by the ear and singlebandlimiters make the whole file louder. This can result in some artifactslike distortion. Also creates more headroom to go a little louder.
Posted by: PMcCMusic

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/06/08 02:39 PM

Thanks,
I'll give it a try,

Best-

PMcC

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/07/08 10:37 AM

hi,
re: bass end.
you'll need proper pro and large monitors to judge the bass.
Zenon is the tightest and most accurate down there i've heard.
BassKillah's solution is very good, btw, for drums.
or you can "pre-process" them with other tools.
DR9.
Posted by: Bob Olhsson

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/08/08 03:48 PM

All limiters ruin the sound of rock drums! I've found nothing that really beats the Waves L2 at this because of the way its distortion comes on at a lower level and develops more gradually than other limiters. On the other hand the Xenon offers significantly better clarity up to a certain point and then you really hear the distortion kick in.

They are very different solutions and I wouldn't want to be without the choice of either one.
Posted by: Bob Olhsson

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/17/08 11:04 PM

I just discovered something wonderful I can do with the Xenon by placing it ahead of an L2! I can balance out the amount of limiting done by each using the input control in "Auto" mode. That way I can get both the low frequency retention of the Xenon and the gradual distortion characteristic of the L2 auto release that masks the onset of heavy limiting. It's the best of both worlds!

I also just mastered a symphony orchestra recording using only the Xenon and the results are absolutely gorgeous.
Posted by: OTR Mastering

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 02/19/08 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Olhsson
I also just mastered a symphony orchestra recording using only the Xenon and the results are absolutely gorgeous.

WHAT?!?!?!? You used a limiter on a symphonic track?!!? SHAME ON YOU, Bob!!!
Posted by: JB3

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 03/25/08 03:38 AM

Fantastic, Bob. Thanks for the tip.

Using chained limiters is a good solution for some sonic situations and using the clarity of the Xenon prior to the L2 is a small stroke of genius. Kudos!

...JB
Posted by: Mateusz Wozniak PSP

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 03/31/08 05:32 AM

DR9: Actually most of credits should refer to Hubert (second developer of PSP) for his long research and development on Xenon project.

Re: the best limiter on the planet? - 10/19/08 09:02 AM

Thanks Mateusz,
Tell Hubert I've tried them all and Zenon still is tops with me.
In fact, i own none of your products, atm, but am still giving you guys a credit on my next CD release here in Australia.
cheers,
DR9.