Topic Options
#5306 - 12/16/07 03:12 AM Mastering Chain
TBlizz Offline

Hi,

My mastering-chain used to be:
* PSP MasterComp
* PSP Neon HR1
* PSP Vintage Warmer 2

With the new PSP Xenon has PSP Vintage Warmer 2 become redundant in my mastering chain, or just the Brickwall button on it?

#5315 - 12/20/07 01:39 AM Re: Mastering Chain [Re: TBlizz]
Antoni Ozynski PSP Offline

PSP Xenon is very transparent brick wall limiter dedicated for mastering, the VintageWarmer2 is more creative tool and not as transparent as Xenon is. The difference between those plug-ins is similar to a difference between PSP MasterComp and PSP MixPressor - both are compressors but designed fr different purposes - the MixPressor for dense and creative sound and MasterComp for transparent and smooth processing.
Please try the PSP Xenon by your self - you will know if the VintageWarmer2 is the best choise for your mastering chain or you need a tool like the PSP Xenon and use PSP VintageWarmer when you need some character to a processed track.

#5316 - 12/20/07 03:09 AM Re: Mastering Chain [Re: Antoni Ozynski PSP]
TBlizz Offline

Antoni, thank you for the explanation. I like what Vintage Warmer 2 adds to my sound. Right now Iím experimenting with the following quick & dirty DYI mastering chain:
* UAD-1 Precision Buss compressor
* PSP Neon HR
* PSP Vintage Warmer 2, without the Brickwall button engaged
* PSP Xenon, to squeeze out an extra 3 dB

Without the Brickwall button engaged on Vintage Warmer 2, the input on the PSP Xenon is usually clipping between 1-3 dB. Should I lower the output of Vintage Warmer 2 or does the PSP Xenon input has enough heardroom to compensate for this?

#5318 - 12/20/07 08:43 AM Re: Mastering Chain [Re: TBlizz]
Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP Offline

Loc: Warsaw
TBlizz,

You have to drive Xenon input to make its limiter work. You can do it by either feeding the plug-in with input signal exceeding 0dBFS peak (like you're doing now) or by turning the Xenon's input knob up to achieve the same. Unless the peaks exceed 0dBFS the limiter does not affect the sound at all. Simply speaking - it is intended to be driven.