Topic Options
#5365 - 02/06/08 05:38 AM Loudness Treshold
BassKillah Offline

Hi,
I have tested several limiters before I bought the PSP Xenon, including the L1/L2/L3, Izotope's Ozone, T-Racks, but the Xenon is by far the best I have heard because it sounds very clear and gets higher RMS levels than the others mentioned before you start hearing artifacts.

Accourding to the manual there is a treshold were further increasing the loudness via the input knob starts effecting the output with pumping effects.
I would like to have some tips or guides to find this threshold other than carefully listening. Is it possible to visually see when pumping occurs? I am using Wavelab 6, so could I us the PSP Vintage meter on the last slot to find the threshold?

I am asking this because recently I have mastered a track in Wavelab using PSP Xenon at the end of the chain and thought is was fine. However when visiting a friend and listening to it on his computer monitors, I could suddenly hear a very minor pumping effect in the quiter parts of the track. Obviously I have gone just a bit too far with the input knob.

Therefor is it possible to visually see in anyway when pumping occurs, whithout having to check the end result on different speakers?

Edited by BassKillah (02/06/08 10:42 AM)

#5372 - 02/07/08 01:04 PM Re: Loudness Treshold [Re: BassKillah]
BassKillah Offline

I think the term "Breathing" (in stead of pumping) was more appropriate for what I was hearing, as it got a bit louder in the quiter parts.

#5374 - 02/09/08 07:15 PM Re: Loudness Treshold [Re: BassKillah]
BassKillah Offline

Finally solved the breathing and pumping effect.
The key was to play with the transient (attack) knob and release button until it was right, just like any other compressor. (used a fast attack and just a bit longer release. Prior to this I used a multibandcompressor to control the basspunch allowing to add even more db, also got rid off all unwantad inaudible lows (Bassicaly controlling peaks was essential). Xenon is truely amazing.
Went all the way to 5.5 RMS in wavelab, whithout lousing punch in the bass range and kept sounding clear without artifacts. (I am using it for mainly Drum&Bass/Garage when mastering, guess it will work with Dance,House, HipHop or Rock aswell) So guys, if anyone is reading this; Problem solved. Might not need to go so loud but by controlling the peaks, giving a smooth low cut and playing around with the buttons (transient/release) you can achieve a very clear sound. Oh, almost forgot, when you need it (very)loud dont forget to us the leveler. Otherwise it sounds like all instruments get in each others way. Hope it helps anyone new to this plug...
Laters,
B.

#5375 - 02/10/08 03:59 AM Re: Loudness Treshold [Re: BassKillah]
BassKillah Offline

(Minus 5.5 RMS that is.)