Topic Options
#7393 - 11/22/13 12:34 PM Ref level in MixPressor
Wojtek Marzec Offline

Loc: Warsaw
I got an idea that work with MixPressor would be more efficient and comfortable if the "MakeUp" knob was replaced by "Reference Level" knob (meaning: the signal level which is kept unchanged between input and output at any "compression" setting), set by default to somewhere around -14dBFS and marked on the scale for comprehension.

When MakeUp is in "auto" mode it gives to much gain, when it is on a fixed level, it has to be re-fixed each time we change compression. The Reference level 0dBFS would mean "auto-MakeUp", Reference set to -Infinity: "no MakeUp".
But what comes as the most valuable feature here is the fine-tuning space in between these extremes. There, the plugin would preserve the medium audible level, pushing louder and quieter parts of signal closer to our reference, with a desired "strenght" - that's what we usually expect during the mix, I guess.

Getting MixPressor quickly into work with a typical (-14dBFS) signal with default RefLev instead of MakeUp in most cases would mean just moving the "compression" slider up and down and observing the (subtle) changes in dynamics not obscured by changes in overall loudness. In case we need upward or downward compression we simply increase/decrease the Ref at start to the value we are aiming for.

The same idea may be applied in MixSaturator. I found that -12dBFS constant in overdrive helps to better notice the changes in timbre than the 0dBFS one.
(Of course there's a doubt: true analog devices were not that intelligent).

#7400 - 11/26/13 01:13 PM Re: Ref level in MixPressor [Re: Wojtek Marzec]
admin Offline

Sounds as a good idea.

#9015 - 03/29/14 02:31 PM Re: Ref level in MixPressor [Re: Wojtek Marzec]
Wojtek Marzec Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Maybe... another small VW option, but not so neccessary, so I put it in the same topic. I just wonder what if VintageWarmer could show the gain reduction taking "Mix" and "Knee" parameters into account. I am not sure about that, maybe it would be a sort of indicator for people deaf as a doorpost in a waves'(R) style - but I sometimes wonder what's the summary effect of the plugin in delicate parralel 18-20% compression.

#9025 - 03/31/14 04:13 AM Re: Ref level in MixPressor [Re: Wojtek Marzec]
admin Offline

Such feature is implemented in the PSP MasterComp.