Topic Options
#9033 - 04/02/14 10:22 AM Smooth high/low pass
Wojtek Marzec Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Recordings made in churches, city concert halls or other non-isolated locations often need some high-pass filtering due to background noises from outside, like traffic, trains etc. Filtering is usually applied to the ambient microphones, which are also supposed to provide clear spatial information. I found that the best method to clear the rumbles is to use a hipass filter with moving frequency. It's more comfortable than, for example a lowshelf with a different gain.
While in analog it was quite simple, in digital I often get zipper noise when changing frequency of such filter too fast. This is, I guess, due to a certain time- or parameter-resolution in digital automation. But what's the speed limit here? During the mix a tiny little scratch may pass unnoticed, and it will emerge only during mastering, too late. Mixing twice and editing highpass with non-highpass versions is a bit inefficient.

So - I am looking for an equalizer, that would somehow guarantee to cope with thas zipper noise and behave culturally. I guess Neon is not the solution as it process audio in frames, so in discreet time domain. Can you propose another equalizer, that would make a smooth change of lowpass/highpass frequency without scratching, or with analog-like artifacts? I do not know other eq-plugins of yours, except for the MasterQ, that I tried somewhere, but it was generating unpredictable sounds on fast freq changes.

PS: congrats on Neon, it's the ultimate tool, precise, fast, ergonomic, comprehensive! Just a detail on it: you don't mention in the manual, that mouse wheel controls the quality of a "hunting" filter too, and maybe a backward compatibility of presets (from "mix" to "hr") would be another small advantage.

best regards

Edited by Wojtek Marzec (04/02/14 10:23 AM)

#9451 - 05/22/14 07:13 AM Re: Smooth high/low pass [Re: Wojtek Marzec]
Wojtek Marzec Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Another one on EQ:
"Mirror Link" mode in EQ.
When applying shelf/peak in one channel (L/R/M/S), symmetric anti-shelf/dip is introduced in the second channel. However, low/high-pass works in parallel like in normal "Link".

Applications (mainly mastering):
-adjusting stereo balance limited to certain freq band (e.g. keeping bass in the middle)
-attenuating vocal in M using mid-freq eq, with automatic band-loudness compensation in S
-moving bass energy from S to M in order to make a cleaner and more stable mix, removing bass or rumble from reverb
-mid/high frequency stereo enhancement with overall loudness conservation
-modifying reverb response (M/S mode) and more general recording spaciousness tweaks