Topic Options
#9998 - 11/26/14 05:30 PM 2meter VU reads peak not RMS?
Leigh Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hello,

Didn't know where else to post this question. I just downloaded the 2Meters bundle, and I'm demoing it as an AAX on Pro Tools 10/Mac OS 10.8.5.

In short, I'm not seeing the meter read the way I would expect it to. I am seeing peak values on the meter, not RMS values. Is this intentional?

To reproduce, set up a Signal Generator plug-in, for a 1k sine, level -10dB, and the "PEAK" (not "RMS") level setting. That means that the Signal Generator's output signal is hitting a peak of -10dBFS, and the RMS value (for a sine wave) is 3dB lower, at -13dBFS.

However, when I put a PSP VU2 meter on it, and calibrate it to a 0dBFS reference, the VU meter reads -10dB, NOT -13dB.

Again, my question is: is this the intended behavior? Every real-world VU meter out there reads RMS, not Peak, and I thought it was the idea of this plug-in to emulate a hardware VU meter.

Thank you,
Leigh

#10002 - 11/27/14 04:20 AM Re: 2meter VU reads peak not RMS? [Re: Leigh]
Adam Taborowski Offline

Hello !

The behavior of PSP 2Meters bundle is intentional. VU meter reads the volume units - not RMS.

If the signal generator is set up at -12 dBFS - and the both meters (VU and PPM) have reference level at -12dBFS - the needle should show 0dB.

Best Regards,
Adam Taborowski

#10003 - 11/28/14 03:41 PM Re: 2meter VU reads peak not RMS? [Re: Adam Taborowski]
Leigh Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Adam: Thank you for the reply, but your answer is not completely clear.

Originally Posted By: Adam Taborowski
VU meter reads the volume units - not RMS.

"Volume units" and "RMS" are not somehow mututally exclusive. Indeed, the technical definition of a VU meter is:

Quote:
The reading of the volume indicator shall be 0 VU when it is connected to an AC voltage equal to 1.228 Volts RMS across a 600 ohm resistance (equal to +4 [dBu]) at 1000 cycles per second.

Of course, since this is a digital implementation of a VU meter, we can ignore the "600 ohms resistance" part of the definition. But regardless, "volts" are equivalent here to digital amplitude, and 0 VU = 1.2V RMS, not 1.2V peak.

Originally Posted By: Adam Taborowski
If the signal generator is set up at -12 dBFS - and the both meters (VU and PPM) have reference level at -12dBFS - the needle should show 0dB.

Would this be with the signal generator set for -12dBFS peak or 12dBFS RMS?

Thank you,
Leigh

#10004 - 12/01/14 09:15 AM Re: 2meter VU reads peak not RMS? [Re: Leigh]
Adam Taborowski Offline

Dear Leigh,

We always calibrate meters to peak sinus in digital world. We have to remember that digital requirements are different from analog world. VU internal level should be -18, but if converter has level lower than +22dBu for 0dBFS - internal level in VU will be different. For converter that is reaching level about+18dBu (for 0dBFS) internal level should be -14dBFS.
You can always change meter calibration on the back panel of plugin to be sure that the meter responds to your needs. The ballistics of the needle is a true simulation of typical VU meters (but even here you can switch between A/B type, because we have found that many analog meters had little differences in the way of needles' motion).

Best Regards,
Adam